If you’re looking for a quick and easy New Orleans Fried Chicken Recipe, then look no further. This is one of the easiest recipes to make at home. The only thing you need to do is follow this recipe, and you’ll have delicious, juicy fried chicken in no time.
Why is New Orleans Fried Chicken So Special?
Southern cuisines, like Louisiana and New Orleans cuisines, are unique in flavor. New Orleans cuisine has a special place in the culinary world because of its diversified taste and cooking style. New Orleans fried chicken is one of the best fried chickens, and their cooking method is so special. As well as another southern dish, Louisiana buttermilk fried chicken, is also a juicy and tender chicken dish.
New Orleans was the first to introduce the world to using buttermilk as a marinade component and Cajun seasoning. Though it is said that South Africans were the first to use buttermilk, this method became famous in New Orleans. Moreover, they use several traditional hot sauces, including cayenne pepper and garlic powder. The coating is also special.
A unique part of New Orleans is that the cuisine is influenced by different cultures. You get a taste of African, American, Spanish, and French culture in the various types of fried chicken in New Orleans. That’s why, I must say, if you are a fried chicken freak, you must try New Orleans fried chicken.
Key Ingredients for New Orleans Fried Chicken
Chicken, buttermilk, and Cajun seasoning are the striking ingredients of the recipe. Among these three ingredients, buttermilk and Cajun seasoning make New Orleans fried chicken significant. That’s why you shouldn’t miss these ingredients. Besides, for deep-frying, vegetable oil is a must.
Try to choose an oil that is good for your health. Moreover, other spices and herbs, such as garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, traditional hot sauces, thyme, dill, and rosemary are also important for making the dish delicious. Overall you need:
- 1 ½ Lb Chicken
- 4 Cups or 2 Inches Deep Canola Oil or Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Teaspoon White Pepper
- 1 ½ Cups All- Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Evaporated Milk or Buttermilk
- Salt, According to Taste
- 1 Tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Chopped Dill
- ½ Tablespoon Finely Chopped Parsley Leaves
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- 2 Teaspoons Thyme
- 2 Teaspoons Granulated Garlic
- ½ Cup Zetta Ranch Sauce
How to Cook Perfect New Orleans Fried Chicken
The whole process is very simple and easy. You can get the perfect New Orleans fried chicken by following four simple steps. The main authentic style starts with bringing the chicken. Then the chicken is marinated with spices and herbs. The chicken is fully coated with eggs and flour. Finally, it is deep-fried.
So isn’t it easy? Try this, and you’ll get the perfect dish.
Step 1: Brine the Chicken
Bring a whole 1 ½ pound chicken and cut them into 8 pieces. Wash the chicken with clean water to remove dirt. Drain the water from the chicken pieces by using a kitchen towel.
Prepare a brine mixture using buttermilk, salt, and seasoning spices. Pour 1 cup of evaporated milk or Buttermilk into a bowl and add 1 teaspoon of salt and a little amount of paprika, thyme, and Cajun seasoning.
Dip the chicken into the brine. Flip the chicken to mix it properly. Then let the chicken soak brine for an hour in a refrigerator.
Step 2: Mix Chicken With Spice and Herbs
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine 1 Cup of Soy Sauce, 1 teaspoon of White Pepper, 1 tablespoon of Cajun Seasoning, 1 tablespoon of Fresh Chopped Dill, ½ tablespoon of Finely Chopped Parsley Leaves, 1 teaspoon of Paprika, 2 teaspoons of Thyme, 2 teaspoons of Granulated Garlic, and ½ cup of Zetta Ranch Sauce.
Incorporate them for 2 minutes using a hand mixer.
Now take away the chicken from the refrigerator. Pour the spice and sauce mixture into the chicken. Use your hand and incorporate it properly. After mixing them, store them aside.
Step 3: Prepare the Coating Mixture
Beat two eggs in a mixing bowl. In another mixing bowl, take 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour. Season flour with some mentioned herbs and spices, i.e.garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper, white pepper, thyme, dill, etc.
Mix them using a hand beater.
Step 4: Dip and Coat the Chicken
It’s time to make the final preparation for frying. Take the marinated chicken from the bowl. Dip the pieces in the beaten egg and flip-flop to dip properly.
Then coat the chicken with seasoned flour. All the sides of the chicken pieces must be coated with egg and flour. Place the prepared chicken on a strainer.
Step 5: Fry the Chicken
In this step, I will use a deep fryer. You can use either a deep fryer or a skillet. Plug in and turn on the switch of the deep fryer. Fill up the deep fryer with canola oil or sunflower oil. Heat the oil till it reaches 350° Fahrenheit. Place the chicken pieces in the basket of the deep fryer. Now deep fry the chicken pieces for 10 minutes.
It’s enough to fry the chicken pieces for 10 minutes, but if needed, fry for 5 more minutes.
Step 6: Season and Enjoy
When the chicken is fully fried, place them on a paper towel kept on a serving plate. Season the chicken with pepper, thyme, dill, and parsley leaves.
Enjoy the New Orleans fried chicken with your favorite dipping sauce.
My Tips for Perfect Fried Chicken All-Time
Fried chicken needs perfection. These tips will help you achieve perfection.
- Consider bringing and then tantalizingly marinating before cooking. Use the mentioned herbs and spices.
- Add some corn flour and tempura powder to the all-purpose flour to make the coating more crispy.
- Fry the chicken in several small batches. It takes the food to perfection.
- Serve the chicken with traditional southern sides like coleslaw, beans and rice, cornbread, etc.
Best Restaurants to Try New Orleans Fried Chicken
Are you new to New Orleans? Searching for the best savory dishes and eager to try the best New Orleans restaurants? New Orleans has many restaurants that offer fried chicken with a vibrant taste. Here is a list of the best restaurants that offer the best chicken fry dishes…
- Dooky Chase Restaurant
- Coop’s Place
- Daisy Mae’s Southern Fried Chicken & Breakfast
- Willie’s Chicken Shack
- Willie Mae’s Scotch House
Try these restaurants and share your experience with us in the comment box.
- 1 ½ lb Chicken
- 4 Cups or 2 inches deep Canola Oil or Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 teaspoon White Pepper
- 1 ½ Cups All- Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Evaporated milk or Buttermilk
- Salt, according to taste
- 1 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Chopped Dill
- ½ tablespoon Finely Chopped Parsley Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 teaspoons Thyme
- 2 teaspoons Granulated Garlic
- ½ Cup Zetta Ranch Sauce
- Cut the chicken into 8 pieces and wash them. Drain excess water using a kitchen towel.
- Prepare a brine mixture with buttermilk, salt, paprika, thyme, and Cajun seasoning. Dip the chicken into the brine and refrigerate for an hour.
- In a mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, white pepper, Cajun seasoning, chopped dill, chopped parsley leaves, paprika, thyme, granulated garlic, and Zetta Ranch Sauce. Mix well.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and pour the spice and sauce mixture over it. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Beat two eggs in a bowl. In another bowl, mix all-purpose flour with garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper, white pepper, thyme, and dill.
- Dip the marinated chicken pieces into the beaten eggs, then coat them with the seasoned flour mixture, ensuring all sides are coated.
- Heat canola or sunflower oil in a deep fryer or skillet to 350°F. Fry the chicken pieces for 10 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. If needed, fry for an additional 5 minutes.
- Place the fried chicken on a paper towel-lined plate and season with pepper, thyme, dill, and parsley leaves.
- Serve the New Orleans fried chicken with your favorite dipping sauce.
Frequently Asked Question
Is New Orleans Food Spicy?
Yes! New Orleans foods are rich in spicy and diversified flavors. Different types of special and vibrant spices are added to the food dishes. Cajun seasoning is one of its special spices. Tabasco sauce, Louisiana hot sauce, cayenne pepper, paprika, etc., are elegant spices and seasonings used in traditional food dishes.
Besides, New Orleans has some best and most delightful dishes, such as gumbo, jambalaya, red beans and rice, étouffée, muffulettas, oysters, chicory coffee, bananas foster, pralines, and king cakes. Similar to these foods, New Orleans fried chicken is also spicy and has a different taste.
What Can I Use Instead of Buttermilk?
Several homemade substitutes are available to use instead of buttermilk. Buttermilk mainly tenderizes and makes chicken soft. It brings a drastic change to the flavor of the chicken. You can use a milk and lemon juice mixture instead of buttermilk.
Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to 1 cup of milk. Besides, you can use plain yogurt, sour cream, or milk and cream of tartar mixture. But note that the substitute will not provide the exact flavor of buttermilk. So you need to choose the substitute according to your personal preference.
When is the Fried Chicken Festival in New Orleans Held?
The National Fried Chicken Festival is held annually in the fall. This year, it is going to start on September 30 and continue until October 1. The location of the festival is the New Orleans Lakeshore at Franklin Avenue.
In this festival, prestigious MasterChefs from different corners of the world come and show their culinary talents on fried chicken. They show different methods of cooking fried chicken. It is a festival to create cultural and culinary diversity in New Orleans.
You will like my New Orleans Fried Chicken Recipe, and I hope you will enjoy it with your family and friends. If you face any problem and are looking for a solution, please comment below. I will provide you with solutions to the issues.