Fried chickens are a favorite of people of all ages. But most fried chicken tastes the same, and if you’re bored of having a similar taste repeatedly, try eating chicken fries fried with coconut flour. My coconut flour fried chicken recipe is not only unique but also healthy.
Coconut flour fried chicken is also famous as a keto-friendly food since it is low in carbohydrates and high in protein. The coconut flour makes it healthier, tastes different yet mouthwatering, and gives the chicken pieces a crisper texture.
In this article, I’ll explain how to make coconut flour fried chicken with easy-to-find ingredients. Also, you will learn fried chicken tips that will help you to get the best result.
- Can I Use Coconut Flour for Fried Chicken?
- The Benefits of Coconut Flour
- Main Ingredients of Coconut Flour Fried Chicken
- How to Make Coconut Flour Fried Chicken
- My Secret Tips For The Best Fried Chicken
- Bottom Line
Can I Use Coconut Flour for Fried Chicken?
Yes, you can use coconut flour for fried chicken. Using coconut flour for fried chicken is actually a wise choice. It’s because only adding this can make your fried chicken different and healthy since it has a vast amount of fiber and protein.
It also has less gluten. Having all these beneficial traits makes chicken fries a keto-friendly food. So, if you’re on a diet yet craving fried chicken, my shared recipe will be ideal.
But is Coconut Flour Fried Chicken Tasty?
Coconut flour is packed with a different flavor. Although there is a little smell like the coconut and gives a sweet coconutty taste, when mixed with any strong flavor like the spices I used in the recipe, it will suit well and taste better. So yes, coconut flour can actually increase the taste of a dish if used in the proper ratio.
The Benefits of Coconut Flour
Coconut flour is beneficial to your health in many ways. If you have blood sugar issues, consume coconut flour, as it can control blood sugar levels. It’s also low in glycemic. I also mentioned earlier that it contains a lot of protein and fiber. If you avoid gluten, there is no need to avoid coconut flour as it is gluten-free. As a result, it can aid you to lose weight. Also, having a high amount of fiber can better your digestive system.
Coconut flour is considered to be low in carbohydrates. Coconut flour contains about 8 grams of net carbs per 2 tablespoons, which is significantly lower than regular all-purpose flour. However, it’s important to note that coconut flour absorbs more liquid than other flours, so recipes may need to be adjusted accordingly.
Main Ingredients of Coconut Flour Fried Chicken
These easy-to-find ingredients are needed to make coconut flour fried chicken.
- Chicken (8 pieces): I am using chicken pieces without skin in this recipe so that spices can enter inside.
- Salt (1 teaspoon): I like to use pink Himalayan salt instead of white salt as it adds more flavor to foods and is considered healthy.
- Black pepper (1 teaspoon): Black pepper is commonly added to fried chicken recipes as it creates a bold flavor.
- Celery seed powder (1 ⁄ 3 teaspoon): Since celery seed powder can bring a savory flavor to any recipe, I preferred adding it to this recipe.
- Garlic powder (1 teaspoon): I chose garlic powder because I can’t use fresh garlic in this recipe. It makes fried chicken flavorful and provides many health benefits like immune system boosting and controlling cholesterol levels.
- Ginger powder (1 teaspoon): Ginger and garlic powder are often used together as they make an amazing spice together so I prefer adding ginger powder in the same amount as the garlic powder.
- Paprika (1 tablespoon): You must add paprika since it enhances the flavor and makes the fried chicken taste more spicy.
- Coconut flour ( 1 cup): Coconut flour will make the chicken fries crisper and crunchier. It will also give you a slightly coconut flavor, which you will love. Besides, it helps lose weight and so will make the fried chicken ketogenic.
- All-purpose flour (½ cup): I have to add all-purpose flour, too, since coconut flour is not good enough to cover the chicken pieces properly.
- Eggs (2): Eggs are needed in a fried chicken recipe for being a great source of protein and working like glue to bind the crust with the chicken bodies.
- Oil: I am using coconut oil for this recipe. You can use canola or olive oil instead of coconut oil. The amount of oil you need to fry chickens depends on the pot size you will use. Use enough oil that it covers a few inches high of the pot.
How to Make Coconut Flour Fried Chicken
Step 1. Cut the Chicken
Cut the chicken into medium pieces so that it can easily absorb the ingredients for marination and cook well. And wash with clean water.
Step 2. Add the Spices
The specialty of low-carb fried chicken recipe is a spice mix that gives you a different flavor from others. Add salt, black pepper, celery seed powder, garlic powder, ginger powder, paprika, coconut flour, and all-purpose flour one by one in a medium-sized bowl.
Step 3: Marinate the Pieces
Now, add 2 eggs in the mixing bowl. Mix them well for a minute with your hand. After mixing them, use a plastic wrap to cover the bowl (so air can’t pass). Let it stay for an hour or 2 inside the fridge.
Step 4. Preheating Oil
Take out a medium or big size (whatever you prefer) nonstick pan to fry the chicken pieces. By the way, you can use a deep fryer instead of a pan. Pour the necessary amount of oil and allow it to get hot properly.
Keep the oil temperature at 350 degrees F. While the oil is getting hot in the pot, you can jump to the next step.
Step 5. Coat and Fry
Take 1 cup of coconut flour and 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour in another bowl. Use a tablespoon to mix them right.
Take a chicken piece and coat it in the mixed flour well. If the oil is hot and starts to boil, put the chicken pieces in the hot pan. It may take to fry 10-13 minutes per side.
Repeat the step and fry all the pieces.
When done frying, put the fried chicken pieces on a tissue and let it absorb the excess oil. Now your coconut flour fried chicken is ready to enjoy. Serve with buffalo hot sauce or honey sauce to increase the taste.
My Secret Tips For The Best Fried Chicken
- To get more crispy and well-cooked fried chicken. You may follow the double-fried chicken method.
- Refrigerating marinated chicken overnight can significantly enhance its flavors. This is because it allows the spices and seasonings to penetrate deeper into the meat, resulting in a more flavorful and tender chicken. However, marinating it for at least 1 hour can make a noticeable difference if you’re short on time.
- Adding buttermilk to your chicken marinade not only adds flavor but also improves the tenderness of the meat. The lactic acid in buttermilk breaks down the proteins in chicken, making it more tender and juicy. So you may marinate chicken with one cup of buttermilk.
- To add a bit of heat to your coconut fried chicken, add ½ teaspoon of chili powder. This will give your dish a spicy kick that complements the sweetness of the coconut. Be sure to adjust the amount of chili powder according to your preferred level of spiciness.
- Adding ⅓ teaspoon of oregano to your fries can elevate flavor by imparting a distinctive herbaceous aroma and taste. So sprinkle some oregano into the chicken for an extra burst of flavor.
- Chicken - 8 pieces
- Salt - 1 Tsp
- Black Pepper - 1 Tsp
- Celery Seed Powder - ⅓ Tsp
- Garlic Powder - 1 Tsp
- Ginger Powder - 1 Tsp
- Paprika - 1 Tbsp
- Coconut Flour - 1 Cup
- All-purpose Flour - 1/2 Cup
- Eggs - 2
- Cut chicken into medium-sized pieces. And wash the chicken with clean water.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine salt, black pepper, celery seed powder, garlic powder, ginger powder, paprika, coconut flour, and all-purpose flour. Mix them well with chicken pieces.
- Add 2 eggs to the spice mix and mix thoroughly. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Heat cooking oil to 350 degrees F in a nonstick pan or deep fryer.
- Mix 1 cup of coconut flour and 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour in a separate bowl. Coat chicken pieces with the flour mixture.
- Fry chicken pieces in hot oil for 10-13 minutes per side.
- Place fried chicken on a tissue to remove excess oil.
- Serve with buffalo hot sauce or honey sauce.
The coconut flour fried chicken recipe is special for those who want different flavored chicken fries. I hope you will try making it and give feedback on how you liked it.
Also, when making the dish, follow my secret tips, and you will get 10 of 10 tasty fried chicken. Comment below if there is a recipe that you want me to share with you. That was all, thanks for being with me.
Read More Recipe: