Health researchers have recently discovered that fried foods can cause several deadly diseases. This news made many think about their health and avoid fried foods, even chicken fries. But to your surprise, you can still enjoy fried chicken without oil.
With several methods, one can easily make fried chicken without using oil. In such a recipe, every ingredient remains except for the cooking oil. Fortunately, you can still gain the same taste and crispness.
So, what are the methods to cook chicken fries and avoid using oil? Make sure to check everything in my article, as I have also shared a great tip to make the crispiest fried chicken without the necessity of deep frying it in hot oil.
- Can You Fry Chicken Without Oil?
- Is Fried Chicken Without Oil Healthy?
- 4 Different Methods to Fry Chicken Without Oil
- Common Ingredients for Fried Chicken
- How to Make Fried Chicken Without Oil
- Tips for a Perfectly Crispy Oil-free Fried Chicken
- Can You Achieve the Same Taste Without Using Oil?
- Final Words
Can You Fry Chicken Without Oil?
Yes, you can fry chicken without oil. It’s actually better to fry chicken without using unhealthy oil. Since its excessive intake can increase fat and cholesterol levels. One can make it spicy, crunchy, and healthy by baking chicken in an oven, frying in an air fryer, or using a griller.
Is Fried Chicken Without Oil Healthy?
Yes, fried chicken without oil is considered healthy. The reason is it’s not fried with oil. According to various health studies, it was found that people who often eat fried foods like fried chicken tend to get fat, type 2 diabetes, acidity, and heart disease earlier than those who avoid all kinds of fried foods. Hence, making chicken fries using no oil is a beneficial and wise choice.
4 Different Methods to Fry Chicken Without Oil
Frying chicken without oil is possible following any of the 4 methods.
Method 1: Frying Chicken on a Pan
One of the best methods is to fry in a pan. This technique involves using a non-stick pan and cooking the chicken over medium heat until it is crispy and golden brown. Start by seasoning the chicken with your desired spices and then place it in the preheated pan.
Cook each side for about 5-7 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F and cover the pan with a lid. Remember to flip the chicken occasionally to ensure even cooking. This method is a healthier alternative to frying and delivers deliciously crispy chicken.
Method 2: Frying in an Air Fryer
Air fryer is a popular method for fried chicken. Start by preheating the air fryer at 380 degrees F. Next, prepare the chicken by seasoning it with your desired spices and coating it in a breadcrumb or flour mixture. Place the chicken in the air fryer basket, making sure not to overcrowd it. Cook the chicken for 7 minutes, flipping halfway through to ensure even cooking.
Method 3: Cooking in an Oven
When you are done preparing chicken to fry/ bake, put the pieces on the cooling rack and place them inside your oven. Set the oven’s temperature to 350 degrees F and cook for 25 minutes until the chicken fries look crispy and golden.
Method 4: Grilling with a Griller
This may sound wild! But making fried chicken on a grill is possible. First, you need to preheat the grill grate for 10 minutes. When the grill grates get hot, put each piece of chicken on the grate. Make sure to place the skin side down and the fatty side up.
Grill each part for 6 minutes (12 minutes in total). Before removing it, check if it looks golden and crispy. Also, use a fork to determine if the meat inside is perfectly cooked. If not, grill them again for an additional time on each side.
Common Ingredients for Fried Chicken
I am using a non-stick pan in my recipe. You can use any method from my list. I am sure you will find all the ingredients in your kitchen without hassle; that’s how I decorate my recipe.
- Chicken (6 pieces): I use chicken with fat to make oil-free fried chicken because the fatty part will release its oily water, which will be enough to fry the chicken.
- Salt (1 teaspoon): Use pink Himalayan salt to make your fried chicken healthier, as it contains no harmful elements.
- Garlic Powder (1/2 teaspoon): Garlic powder is a must-have ingredient for this recipe since its bold flavor enhances the taste of chicken fries.
- Ginger Powder (1/2 teaspoon): Ginger powder is another taste enhancer. It combines amazingly with garlic powder and creates a unique Asian taste.
- Paprika (1/2 tablespoon): I add paprika as it brings a vibrant golden color and makes the fried chicken taste a bit sweet.
- Black Pepper (1/3 teaspoon): To add peppery flavor, I add black pepper.
- Red Chili Powder (⅓ tsp): I love adding red chili powder to spice up the fried chicken more.
- Soy Sauce (1 teaspoon): I also use soy sauce since it gives the chicken an umami-rich flavor and adds a savory taste, which I like.
- Cornstarch (1/2 cup): Since I’m not going to use oil in this recipe, I will use cornstarch to make my fried chicken crispy as if it were deep-fried in hot oil.
- Buttermilk (1/2 cup): I use buttermilk for marination as it makes every piece of chicken super tender and juicy.
- Egg (1): I also use eggs in marination because they ensure that the crust of cornstarch and spices will not fall off or lose while being cooked.
How to Make Fried Chicken Without Oil
Step 1: Prepare Chicken
Take 6 pieces of midsize chicken with fat and wash them with water 4 times. After cleaning, dry them with kitchen tissues.
Step 2: Prepare Spice Mix
In a pot, add 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ginger powder, 1/3 tsp red chili powder, 1/2 tbsp paprika, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, and 1/3 tsp black pepper, and mix them.
Step 3: Marinate Chicken
Add 1/2 cup of buttermilk, 1 egg, and 1 tsp soy sauce in a big bowl. Stir for a minute. Put every piece of chicken properly so that they’re coated well. Store the bowl in the refrigerator for 2 hours, covered with a plastic wrap.
Step 4: Fry Chicken Without Oil
After two hours, take the bowl out of the fridge. Add 1/2 cup of cornstarch and the spice mix in another bowl. Mix them properly with a beater. Heat a pan on your stove and keep medium heat. Take a piece of chicken from the marination, coat it with the seasoned cornstarch, and gently place it on the pan.
Fry in two batches, 3 pieces in each batch. Cover them with the lid and fry each batch for 14 minutes. Check if the inside is cooked correctly and the outside is crispy. When ready, enjoy them with your favorite sauce.
Tips for a Perfectly Crispy Oil-free Fried Chicken
If you don’t have baking powder in your kitchen, go and get it today, as it’s the ultimate solution to make chicken fries perfectly crispy even when fried without oil. Sometimes, I love my chicken fries to be the crispiest, and that’s when I use baking powder.
If I were to use baking powder in this recipe, I would have added 1/2 teaspoon of it with the cornstarch and spice mix. Baking powder has the components that decompose chicken’s peptide bonds, and, as a result, the PH level increases. This allows the chicken skin to lose moisture faster and become crisper than chicken fries fried with oil.
Can You Achieve the Same Taste Without Using Oil?
Yes, you can achieve the same taste in your fried chicken with this recipe without oil. It’s because oil rarely makes a change in taste. The spices and elements used in the marination process are the ones that work as taste enhancers.
Also, using buttermilk will make the fries soft and juicy, while cornstarch will make the outside crumbly. Hence, the fried chicken will retain its taste.
- Chicken - 6 Pieces
- Salt - 1 Tsp
- Garlic Powder - 1/2 Tsp
- Ginger Powder - 1/2 Tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 Tbsp
- Black Pepper - 1/3 Tsp
- Red Chili Powder - 1/3 Tsp
- Soy Sauce - 1 Tsp
- Cornstarch - 1/2 Cup
- Buttermilk - 1/2 Cup
- Egg - 1
- Wash 6 pieces of midsize chicken with clean water and dry them with kitchen tissues.
- Mix salt, garlic powder, ginger powder, paprika, black pepper, and red chili powder in a bowl.
- Add buttermilk, egg, and soy sauce in another bowl and stir them well. Put chicken pieces in it to get them well-coated.
- Use a plastic wrap to cover the bowl and refrigerate it for 2 hours.
- Combine cornstarch and spice mix in a bowl and use a beater to ensure all the dry ingredients mix correctly.
- Preheat the pan on the stove while keeping a medium heat.
- Remove the marinated chicken from the refrigerator and coat with cornstarch seasoned with spices.
- Put 3 pieces on the pan, and use a lid to cover it.
- Fry each side for 7 minutes until they look golden brown.
- Repeat the previous two steps to fry the other batch.
Fried chicken without oil has become a prominent dish across the world. People are becoming more health conscious, leading them to avoid fried foods cooked with oil. Hence, I brought you my special fried chicken without oil recipe.
Remember to give it a try and comment below how you liked it. That’s all for today, folks! See you soon with another healthy and tasty recipe.